Georgine Comerford

Georgine Comerford

Associate Professor, Art, Brooklyn College

Areas of Expertise:  Aside from teaching traditional photography techniques and alternative processes, Comerford has also lectured on the history of photography, women and photography, the history of women artists, women and personal creativity, the Mona Lisa and the function of humor in photography. Creative Work:  I am creating new work that investigates how many of the women’s issues of the 1970s are being addressed today. I am currently photographing a group of Latina feminists who rally against domestic violence in their communities. During my Fellowship leave of spring 2010, I began the extensive work of curating more than 3,000 negatives of my documentary photography of the Women’s Liberation Movement of the 1970s. This will become the basis of an archive that will be housed in the Brooklyn College Library’s Special Collections. Several hundred documentary photographs of Bronx life have been incorporated into an online oral history and photography website, administered by the Special Collections area of the Lehman College Library. The project has just received a grant from the Metro Digitization Fund.